British Property Award Winner 2017 & 2018
If you are looking to buy in London then you will find our London area guides very useful. Each area guide gives you a quick overview of the neighbourhood from its history to its local amenities.
The E14 area can also be referred to as, or includes: Canary Wharf, Docklands, Tower Hamlets, Limehouse, Poplar, Westferry, Millwall, Cubitt Town, Canning Town, Blackwall, West India Quay, Heron Quay, South Quay, Crossharbour, Mudchute, Island Gardens.
To the east, south and west, E14 is demarcated by the River Thames. To the north, the cut off points are The Highway, Bow Common and the Thames Barrier. E14 is located in southeast London and can be easily reached via the Underground on the Jubilee Line. The Docklands Light Railway runs throughout the area and has links with the tube.
There are numerous theories about how the Isle of Dogs earned its name. Some say it is from the time when Henry VIII kept his dogs on the island, others say it is a corruption of Isle of Ducks, or Isle of Docks.
The E14 postcode district lies within or includes part of the following towns, counties, localities, electoral wards and stations: All Saints Station, Blackwall and Cubitt Town, Blackwall Station, Canary Wharf Station, Chanary Wharf Station, Crossharbour & London Arena Station, East India and Lansbury, East India Station, Heron Quays Station, Island Gardens Station, Limehouse, Limehouse Station, London, Mile End East, Millwall, Mudchute Station, Poplar Station, Shadwell, South Quay Station, St Dunstan's and Stepney Green, Tower Hamlets, West India Quay Station, Westferry Station.
The Isle of Dogs now centres around Canary Wharf (Canary Wharf refers to the both the tower, the tube station, and the offices in its immediate vicinity). Canary Wharf is London’s financial district. Businesses located in Canary Wharf include: Citibank, Credit Suisse, Barclays Bank and HSBC. Businesses from other industries, such as BP and Reuters, have also located in the area, but it is still dominated by the financial sector. This means that a significant proportion of the residents of E14 work in the financial sector, and earn high wages. It also means that the types of property here are predominantly new properties (built after the regeneration in 1981) designed for young executives rather than families.
The most southerly area of the Isle of Dogs is Island Gardens which includes the area to the southwest of the island as well. It has the lowest concentration of newly built property, and a higher concentration of council properties. This area at the south of the Isle of Dogs has a park by the entrance to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel, south of Saunders Ness Road, and several open park spaces adjacent to Stebondale Street and East Ferry Road.
Most of the people living in E14 are highly educated, young persons that are either single or do not have large families. Not surprisingly, detached housing makes up only one percent of the housing in the area. The postcode is densely populated and housing consists mostly of flats.
The Isle of Dogs has had a lifetime of ups and downs. Being surrounded by water, it is naturally marshland, and over the last millennium there have been several episodes of draining the area. The first occurred in the thirteenth century, then the area was barely populated, and known as Stepney Marsh. However, in 1488, the Thames broke its bank, and the area returned to its natural marshy state.
After this period it is rumoured that the Isle of Dogs was simply left as it was, and used as land for the royal dogs to be kept on, when the royal palace was located just on the opposite side of the River Thames in Greenwich.
In the seventeenth century the Isle of Dogs began to take shape as the habitable, economically viable area that it is today. Prior to this, the only recorded buildings in the area were a chapel, and the Ferry House Public House, on the same site as today’s Ferry House Pub, serving those using the nearby ferry crossing to reach Greenwich. Records begin to appear naming the area as Isle of Dogs and the Blackwall Levels. At this time, Dutch engineers successfully drained the area for a second time. One road, known as Ferry Road, was built, running north to south down the length of the island and the rest of the area was used for cattle grazing. To the south of Poplar high street was an area known as the killing fields, where cattle was slaughtered before market, and the area to the west became known as Millwall, due to the number of windmills situated along the flood defence.
In the nineteenth century, the Isle of Dogs flourished economically. Being surrounded on three sides by the River Thames meant it was an ideal port for goods entering into the City of London. West India Dock was the first to open in 1802. Following that, the East India Dock opened in 1806, followed by Millwall Dock in 1868.
In 1909, the London Port Authority made the isle an island, by linking the docks with canals and therefore surrounding the area on all four sides, and the workforce and population grew. In 1901 the docks had a booming economy and a population of 21,000 people. However, as a trade centre, the Isle of Dogs became an important target in World War II and suffered much damage, whilst being unable to keep up with new shipping and storage methods. This led the area into a period of decline.
In March 1970, the inhabitants of the Isle of Dogs declared the area an independent republic, electing themselves a president, Ted Johns. Plans for the revival of the area and to combat social deprivation were proposed by both Labour and Conservative governments, however, in the 1981 the London Docklands Development Committee was established. The LDDC are responsible for the Docklands Light Railway, the Jubilee Line Extension, and of course, One Canada Square (also known as Canary Wharf Tower) and much of the housing and office space surrounding Canada Square.
Places of interest in SE1 include the Tate Modern, which houses international modern and contemporary art. It was converted into a striking gallery from a disused power station that closed in 1982. The building was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
The Globe Theatre is another place of interest. It is a reconstruction of the original open-air playhouse, in which Shakespeare acted and wrote some of his plays. The original was situated just off Park Street and was destroyed in a fire on June 29th 1631. Although it was rebuilt in June 1614, it closed again in 1642. The season now runs from April to October.
As well as The Globe Theatre, there are a number of other big name theatres, including The Old Vic (on The Cut), and The National Theatre (on the South Bank). City Hall is another attraction worth a visit.
SE1 is also the location of the London Eye and the Royal Festival Hall, which is now part of the South Bank Centre. HMS Belfast is moored in between Tower Bridge and London Bridge. Kings College London also has a campus in this area.
East London's new city: Dramatic expansion of Royal Docks continues with big new housing schemes, an extended City airport — and Crossrail is coming
Purplebricks shares dive on sales outlook shock