Students who rent accommodation are potentially putting themselves in danger, as the majority were found to lack awareness over domestic gas safety.

A recent study conducted by the National Grid showed that just five per cent of UK university academics look for an abode with a safe boiler when selecting digs. It also found that 54 per cent of students who rent property said their gas boiler does not have a safety certificate - even though it is a legal requirement for landlords to provide one.

Senior communications officer at the National Grid Sarah Harris believes many youngsters need to reassess their priorities when looking for a tenancy. She feels that some students could be in danger of suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. 

"They are concerned about having a big bedroom, a double bed and being close to the pub, but what they are not concerned about is their own safety," Ms Harris remarked.